Friday 19 August 2016

INTERVIEW: Michael La Ronn

Flurries Unlimited (FU) had the great opportunity to sit down for a chat with fantasy and science fiction author Michael La Ronn (MLR) about his writing, his life and his philosophy of being.  Here's what we talked about.

FU:  There are so many different genres to choose from, what inspired you to write science fiction and fantasy novels? 

MLR: I have a big imagination and I love to tell stories. Science fiction and fantasy let me explore my imagination. When you read good SFF, you always walk away with a different perspective of the world, even though you've just been reading fiction. 

FU: And how did the non-fiction books come about?

MLR: The nonfiction books are more for me, honestly. It's me documenting my growth as an author, and passing along what I've learned to help people who have started after me. They're fun to write and nice buffers between novels. 

FU:  Your Amazon bio mentions a life-threatening illness that changed your life.  Can you give us a little bit more insight into that? How are you different now as compared to before?

MLR: I was ill with a stomach virus and while I was in the hospital, I caught another infection. What should have been a 2-3 hour hospital visit turned into a month-long visit where the doctors didn't diagnose the infection until it was almost too late. On that hospital bed, I realized that I had done nothing with my life. Sure, I had gone to college, gotten a good job, was ready to be engaged---but something was missing. Art was missing. I swore right then and there on that hospital bed that I would become a world-class storyteller and nothing would stop me. 

Most people who know me very well will tell you that I'm fearless. I'm willing to write the stories I believe in, even if they're a little off-kilter, and I'm willing to fail HARD and embarrass myself in public, and I have no problem with it because I also know how to balance that with good business sense and marketing. Life is short. When I'm gone, I'd rather leave it all in my books than have regret about what I didn't write. I definitely didn't have that attitude before I got sick. 

FU:  You've written a lot of books.  Which is your favourite and why?

MLR: Such a tough question! I love all of my books. Each one has a different spot in my heart. But Festival of Shadows will probably always be my favorite. It's about a headstrong teddy bear facing all odds to rescue his owner from the boogie man. Life throws everything at him--sadness, despair, evil villains---but he perseveres and never gives up. But at the same time his heart opens up in ways he never imagined, and he learns what it really means to be brave. That's my own personal, story, too. 

FU:  They say that every character has some of the author in him/her.  Which of your characters is most like you?  In what way?

MLR: X from Android Paradox is most like me. Aside from the fact that he's a seven-foot tall, African-American android who has no problem cracking skulls, he's quiet, introspective and always taking in the world around him. He's always asking questions, always trying to get to the heart of who he truly is, that's how I am, too. If only I had his muscles and strength!

FU:  So what is on the horizon?  What are your new projects? When is your next new release?

MLR: More science fiction & fantasy is always on my horizon. I'll be publishing Book 2 in The Last Dragon Lord series by the end of the year, as well as a new series about necromancers that I am super excited about. 

FU:  Thank you for chatting with us.

TMLR: hank you very much for the interview. I appreciate the opportunity!


No comments:

Post a Comment