Sunday 20 March 2016

INTERVIEW: Ron G. Robertson

Flurries Unlimited (FU) had the unique opportunity of chatting with suspense thriller author, Ron G. Robertson (RGR).  This is what we discussed:

FU:  Hijacked Hitman has a very unique premise. What was the inspiration for it?


RGR: The idea came to me as I walked the stairs at the office tower where I worked in New York. When I stopped to catch my breath after several flights of stairs, I heard someone coming up the hallway that connected the stairwells. I stepped back into an alcove behind one of the building’s support columns and as the person passed, the “Hijacked Hitman” idea began to percolate.
    
FU:  Your bio mentions walking the same stairs as the protagonist in this story. What other things do you have in common with him?

RGR: I did not live alone or in Manhattan, but I shared Sam’s interest in exploring the city and observing people. Yes, some of the office characters were based on real people.
 

FU: They say that every character has much of the author in him/her. Characters are also frequently inspired by real life people and events. What is the internal/external mix ratio for Hijacked Hitman? Which of your characters is most like you? Which situations are closest to real life? In what ways?

RGR: Some aspects of Sam Robbins – his curiosity, his ease with solitude – are qualities I share. The criminal characters and events are purely fictional, inspired by an active imagination. Of the characters in the story, Sam is probably the one most like me, with his carefree trust in people.

Locations in the story are based on real places. The events and conversations of Sam’s search for the right gun store are are almost verbatim from my experiences during my research.


FU: Was it a big adjustment going from NYC to life in Austin, TX? How has it influenced your writing?

RGR: Living in Austin is certainly different from New York. Although I lived in the woods on Long Island during my working years in Manhattan – and I currently live in a densely populated area – there is no substitute for the spirit of New York City. However, Austin is easier and peaceful and the literary community has been stimulating and supportive. My involvement with the Writers League of Texas brought me into contact with other writers, agents and publishers, and led me to getting “Hijacked Hitman” published through Enchanted Indie Press.



FU:  So what is on the horizon? What are your new projects? When is your next new release?

RGR: I have begun work on a spinoff of “Hijacked Hitman.” It’s a mystery thriller about the pursuit of a dangerous assassin by Detective Jackson Carter, who appeared briefly at the end of “Hijacked.” Sam Robbins also figures in the action.

I’m also thinking about an apocalyptic novel with ties to climate change, which I began a few years ago. For therapy, I write poetry every day.


FU:  Sounds very interesting! Thank you so much for chatting with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment