Saturday 12 October 2013

BOOK OF THE DAY: Only Human by Chris Reher

by Chris Reher





BOOK DESCRIPTION
Captain Nova Whiteside, on a brand new assignment to help rid the Commonwealth Union of Planets from a growing rebel force, is teamed up with Tychon, a strait-laced Vanguard officer whose opinion of Humans, in general, is less than stellar.

When their pursuit of the ruthless rebel leader and a living weapon in his control blurs the line between their personal lives and their mission, Nova must choose between duty and loyalty.

AUTHOR BIO



Living in Canada, it is inevitable that those who lack enthusiasm for snow-related activities tend to stay indoors for a good portion of the year.

Thank goodness for computers. I became a web developer and eventually authored some text books about HTML and CSS, pleasantly surprised when they were picked up at the college level.
But I've always loved fantasy worlds and writing about what might be possible, given a certain suspension of disbelief and a rude assault upon the laws of physics.

Since I've always suspected that there is far too much gravity on this planet, I tend to take my people to other worlds.


REVIEWS
5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping October 21, 2012
Format:Kindle Edition|Amazon Verified Purchase
What impressed me the most about Only Human was the world within it that Chris Reher created. So many different people, languages, and cultures to the point that I was amazed the author was able to maintain continuity of it all! I also greatly enjoyed the strong characterization. We are allowed into almost everyone's heads to hear their thoughts, and in a seamless way that does not jar or confuse. Most importantly, I loved the main characters. I loved Nova's fiery, stubborn, determined attitude. She is strong and `gets the job done' in a way that's not bossy or annoying. I enjoyed Tychon's calmness, his wittiness and his propensity for teasing Nova.

The book is filled to the brim with action and adventure. There are incredibly descriptive fight scenes and rescue missions. Beneath this wonderful story of suspense and action and adventure and romance, Chris Reher also attempts to teach us a vital lesson about race and the awfulness of being judged / ostracized because of our heritage. This is done in an unobtrusive, non-preachy tone - often in an unconscious and/or witty remark or thought.

Improvements:
There are a few missed / transposed words, but the rest of the story is so well done that these tiny gaffes are inconsequential.

For me, I felt the romance developed too quickly. I'll be honest and admit that I like a `slow thaw' (long bits of Unresolved Sexual Tension) between my soon-to-be-couple, so perhaps my bias is clouding my judgment.

I didn't like the decision made at the very end of the book, and felt it was not the right one at all - judging from the background and training of the decision-maker. But in order for me to explain why I feel this way, I will be at risk of revealing spoilers. In any case, I believe the author wrote it this way probably with the intention to continue the story, so I'm not too worried.

All in all, Only Human is an amazing, gripping read. It promises to keep you hooked reading it at ungodly hours of the night (is 4am considered night???). You will become attached both to the story and to the characters, worrying for their safety, cheering for them in their successes, and eager to read on as to what they'll do next. Buy it, read it, and then come thank me for recommending a great book to read. :D


OTHER WORKS

No comments:

Post a Comment